Pieve di San Giovanni Battista San Giovanni d'Asso
CHURCHES AND MONASTERIES
The parish of saint John the Baptist is the main church of saint Giovanni d’Asso. It dates back to the XIV century when the family Petroni provided it with precious relics and works of art. In 1639 the Pannilinis who followed in the patronage of the church, made some restructuring works, renewed in 1879. The relics which were given by the cardinal Riccardo Petroni were put on the main altar in a seventeenth-century cupboard with painted wooden antes, which opens every year on the Saturday which precedes the Sunday “in abis”. It was drawn lots for the name of a saint, of whom the relic will be brought in procession on the following day and then put it back; the creaking of the antes will represent a favourable auspice for the annual crop of the country(the so-called “creaking feast”).