San Lorenzo a Vergelle San Giovanni d'Asso
CHURCHES AND MONASTERIES
The church of san Lorenzo in Vergelle was originally a branch of the near Parish of Pava and religious centre of a medieval castle and village which don’t exist anymore, reduced to few houses, already the seat of a baptismal font at the end of the XVI century. The present structure, of a sixteenth/seventeenth-century aspect, has a plastered front and the lateral pilaster strips, the triangular tympanum, the portal and the square forms of the windows in bricks. The inside has a Latin cross and a barrel vault; on the right, the altar of the “Madonna of the Rosary” was decorated with a painting with the same subject of 1580, today kept in the Diocesan Museum in Pienza; on the contrary, that on the left is dedicated to Saint Isidoro Agricola.