San Gimignanello Rapolano Terme
SAN GIMIGNANELLO IN SERRE. It is situated between the Val di Chiana and the Val d’Ombrone, near the present super-highway which leans from Bettolle to Siena, just before Serre di Rapolano. It was first an important small fortress and then villa Sansedoni, with a farmhouse and a parish(SS. Fabiano and Sebastiano). The castle of San Gimignanello was one of the feuds of the Counts of the Scialenga, owners of Asciano, to which belonged that C.Walfredo of the C. Ranieri di Walfredo of Asciano, who, in February of 1022, while he was staying in his castle, gave to the chapter of the Cathedral of Arezzo, the fourth part of the Chiusa which belonged to the Marchese Oberto in Val di Chiana. Bought by the sienese in 1212, san Gimignanello became a small fortress and in 1272 it was elected an official representative, with enforced residence, under the direct orders of the podesta of Siena. The church of San Gimignanello was rebuilt by the noble sienese family of Sansedoni, which followed the Counts of the Berardenga and Scialenga in a lot of properties. The election of the parish is alternated among the Sansedonis and the bishop of Arezzo. At present, although it keeps untouched its own structure of castle, it is a private property used as a farm.